Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What do you make for dinner when you live next to Jackson Heights?





I was on my way to Mango Rico on 82nd Street, the cheapest vegetable market ever, when suddenly it hit me and I knew what to make for dinner. I walked right past the market, my original plans to make a Vietnamese chicken salad were all wrong. And off I walked, over to Roosevelt Ave, and away, past the tamal ladies on the corner, past EcuaMex, past the Panederia Columbiana, Pollo Peruano, and made a right onto 74th Street. Quick down the block and walked into Patel Brothers. Why? I don't know, it was summoning me, telling me "Sara, come to Jackson Heights". So I listened to the voice. If you must know, the voice in my head pronounced it "Yackson Heighs". Anyway, accented inner monologue aside, I came up with a menu as I strolled the aisles. Our dinner for the night. Not authentic, not real, not Indian Indian, but the spices, the flavors, the ideas were all there, and it seemed to be what I was craving.

Potato and Pea Samosas, Tamarind and Cilantro Chutneys (I did not make these from scratch, sorry to say).
Raita
Spicy Onion Pickle
Chana Masala
Ghetto version of Chicken Tikka Masala
(I told you it wasn't authentic....)

It came out as well as can be expected, which was good enough for our Monday night dinner.
Next time the voice tells me where to shop, I'll be sure to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment