Thursday, April 30, 2009

Salsa Verde Recipe

I had nothing in the house today and was starving. Writing a paper about the struggle between the secular and the spiritual in the age of Geoffrey Chaucer can really tire a girl out. No time to shop, I was on a deadline, so I scrounged around and like any good wanna-be Mexican, was able to come up with an entire dish using only some old tortillas, tomatillos, a few jalapenos, cilantro, cheese, and by scraping out the last bits in the container of sour cream. Enchiladas! I didn't even have garlic or onion for the salsa (oh what kind of Mexican will I be?), but found an old shallot rattling around in the produce bin, popped it in the blender, and voila, salsa verde. Easiest thing to make, and my lunch was complete. No protein, and not much veg, but it was fast, good, and filled me up. I really need to go shopping.

To make a few cups of salsa verde: Take 5 or 6 tomatillos, husk and wash them, put them in a pot with water. Add 2-3 jalapenos, stem pulled off. Bring to a boil then simmer until the tomatillos lose their bright green color and are soft to the touch. Remove them from the water and place them into the blender, add 1 jalapeno, a handful of cilantro, a clove of garlic and a chunk of onion. Blend, taste, add salt, and add the next jalapeno if it isn't spicy enough. I like to add them one at a time because some are hotter than others, and you can always add but can't take away. Blend until smooth, and it's ready to use in a myriad of recipes. This is just the beginning building block to many a Mexican meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment