Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dinner and a Dream



















































I have to admit that it is kind of fun to have some extra time on my hands. Almost too much fun.
I only have class once a week (although that will change in a few days), I don't have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning, I have a whole new outlook on life that comes from a combination of getting enough sleep and not being miserable. So where does all of this new energy go? Well since it's me, it goes into thinking, planning, creating, and shopping for dinner. It's just like the best parts of work, the fun stuff without the kitchen B.S. Except that I have to wash my own dishes. And I'm not getting paid for it. Hmmm. Anyway, after my unintentional tour of every grocery store within a 10 block radius of our house at the beginning of the week, I decided to go back to the Met Foods on 37th Avenue and 76th street. The night before, I dreamt that I had been re-hired at my last job and was forced to clean the low-boy fridge and serve panna cottas that looked like jell-o, while the dishwasher peeled potatoes and dropped the peelings on me. I blame the dream on the NyQuil, but for some reason, when I woke up I really wanted meatloaf. I know, I don't fully understand it myself. The mind is a fascinating thing. So I set off planning on making meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes for dinner. Went to Met, picked up some ground turkey, and then got completely distracted by the ketchup section. Long story short, Heinz now makes a ketchup without corn syrup, which really made my day. Then I couldn't find string beans. And I saw my favorite kind of whole wheat pita. Then I remembered that I had a can of Israeli pickles in the cupboard. So I came up with a completely new idea on the walk home. Spiced meatballs. Cumin, zaatar, sumac, onions, garlic. I found some mint in the fridge, so I made a minted garlic yogurt sauce. Half a head of red cabbage, a quarter of a red onion, I made a vinegary slaw. There was a red pepper rattling around, so I threw it on the flame, charred it peeled it, olive oil and garlicked that right up. Broke out the pickles and olives, toasted the pita, set the table up like a buffet, and dinner was ready. What began as a strange dream morphed into something else completely, and that something was pretty tasty. Ahh the life of the unemployed. I still want meatloaf though, maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment