Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Workshop, A Launch










































A launch party for The Boutique Group, June 20th. After spending two weeks pretty much isolated from the rest of the world in an intensive writing workshop at NYU, cooking and catering had taken a backseat to the memories that we were forced to dredge up in non-fiction class. But on the last day, after the goodbyes, there was no time for celebration. I was shopping.
And cooking. And packing for the party. Complete shift in thought and action. It was nice to be back in the kitchen, I thought. But as I sliced mangoes for the salsa, in my head I was composing an essay about the first time I ever tried one. And when I chopped the chicken, I laughed to think of the poem that I wrote in the poetry exchange. The sound of chopping and scraping,the smell on the street, the intense colors and flavors of my local taco truck on 82nd and Roosevelt Ave. Yup, I wrote a poem about a taco truck. When they say intensive workshop, they aren't kidding. It takes a long time to digest. But I managed to cook and, with lots of help from Jose, had fun throughout; grilling, baking, frying, simmering, creation of another kind. The food went, the rum punch flowed, and I got to take home a dozen cupcakes, so I'd say it was a successful night. Taking the subway from Queens to Manhattan laden with food and trays for a party of 150 might not have been the best idea I've ever had, though.









This was me waiting on the platform for the E train to come after the party was over. It took me twenty minutes to make it down the stairs!

No comments:

Post a Comment